Hotel Safety In Focus After Bangkok and Phuket Tragedies
Last night's fire in which one foreign traveler reportedly died at the Grand Mercure Park Avenue Hotel comes on the heels of another tourist death in Phuket.
Wednesday night a tourist was electrocuted at the recently opened Dewa Karon Beach Resort.
Fire and life safety concerns are high in media coverage and Thai officials are reportedly taking a closer look at the sector.
An incident in Bangkok on Saturday saw high-rise Fico Building substantially burned in a large scale fire. According to an article in the Bangkok Post which quoted local sources saying that the fire sprinkler system was inadequate.
In a country which enforcement of safety standards is more often than not a random affair, the increase in accidents is a good reminder for the hospitality sector to closely examine their own policing of individual properties.